Water is consumed daily by most everyone either orally or through the skin by showering/bathing, swimming, etc. Clean water is an essential nutrient, the basis of fluids of all living organisms, and absolutely necessary to sustain life. When we talk about achieving optimum health, consuming clean water should be at the top of the “most important” list. It has been said that water is the world’s best beauty elixir! With that type of statement, who wouldn’t want to drink-up!
Did you know that every cell in your body is bathed in water? Water makes up nearly 85 percent of our brain, about 80 percent of our blood and about 70 percent of lean muscle. Water accounts for about 60% of a man’s body weight and represents about 50% of a woman’s weight. However, water deficiency can quickly lead to dehydration, a condition that occurs when you don’t have enough water in your body to carry on normal functions. Chronic dehydration has been called “the hidden epidemic” and an estimated 75% of all North Americans are chronically dehydrated. Even mild dehydration can zap your energy, make you tired and affect mental clarity. Be aware that water loss of 9-12% total body weight can be fatal. Dehydration is a major cause of infant illness and death throughout the world and hospitalization for the elderly. So in a nutshell, dehydration creates some very real health risks.
Signs and Symptoms of Dehydration
- Excessive thirst
- Dry mouth
- Muscle and joint pain
- Little or no urination
- Muscle weakness
Be aware that thirst is not always a reliable measurement that one needs water. If you’re healthy and already include water as your beverage of choice, your thirst mechanism is most likely working well. The older you are, the less able you may be to sense that you’re thirsty. And during vigorous exercise, an important amount of your fluid reserves may be lost before you feel thirsty. So make sure that you’re sufficiently hydrated throughout the day no matter what activity in which you are involved.
Important Facts about Water
Toxic water definitely poses a serious health risk to you and your family. We would hope that by now, clean municipal water would be the norm; however, too many disturbing studies about American water show otherwise. The following information should be considered.
- High levels of lead in water have been linked to lower IQs in children.
- Arsenic – The toxic chemical arsenic may be in water drawn from wells. It harms nerves, the heart, blood vessels, and skin. It has also been linked to several cancers. Wells should be checked frequently.
- Trihalomethanes (THMs) – including chloroform – are byproducts of chlorination that are suspected of causing several cancers, including bladder cancer. THMs are added to many municipal water supplies.
- Presence of total coliform may indicate that potentially harmful bacteria such as Escherichia coli (E. coli) is present.
- Fluoridated Water – Today, most cities in the USA choose to fluoridate their municipal water. In addition to tap water, fluoride can be found in numerous products such as toothpaste, mouthwash, medications, green and black tea leaves, and drinks such as bottled water, soda and juice. Be sure to read labels. Do your research about fluoride as to whether it is something you want to consume.
- Cryptosporidium is a parasite that causes a sometimes severe and life-threatening diarrheal disease. It is one of the most common causes of waterborne disease (drinking and recreational) in the U.S.
Unclean water poses serious health risks not just to your family, but also to your pets. Remember, they drink, are bathed in, and/or swim in your water as well. Your plants/garden will also suffer from the effects of contaminated water.
Health Benefits of Drinking Clean Water
- reduces headaches
- helps mental alertness
- benefits digestion
- helps with constipation
- replenishes skin tissue
- anti-aging properties
- regulates body temperature
- maintains healthy fluid
- levels in the body
- flushes out toxins & waste products
- increases energy
- helps with weight loss
- bathes the cells of the body
- may help with asthma & allergies
- boosts metabolic rate
- reduces risk of dehydration
- serves as transport for nutrients
- helps kidneys
- helps maintain normal bowel function
- moisturizes air in the lungs
- helps with joint & muscle health
- may help with lower back pain
Oasis Enhanced H2O Formula
This is the water formula that I drink and recommend for clients. Oasis Enhanced H2O Formula includes organic, raw apple cider vinegar, organic aloe vera juice and raw honey (if desired). It is very healthy and refreshing and you will find it great to sip on throughout the day. Many find that they enjoy the addition of some fresh squeezed organic lemon or lime juice.
By the way, don’t be concerned about drinking distilled water which is the purest form of water. Many (mostly those selling water filtration) suggest that distilled water can remove minerals from the body. This is true, and this is exactly what we want it to do. Let me explain. According to Dr. Ron Kennedy: The minerals it [distilled water] leaches out are of the unusable, ionic form and we want these to leave the body rather than be deposited and cause disease. Distilled water does not leach out significant amounts of biologically available minerals because these are quickly taken up by the body on an as needed basis. If they are present in excess then they are filtered through the kidneys and this is exactly what needs to happen with all things which are in excess in the circulation. Distilled water cleanses the body through promoting healthy kidney function. Of course minerals are definitely essential to cellular metabolism, development, and strength; however, we get the majority of minerals from eating a healthy diet, not drinking water. If you include plenty of organic vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seeds in your daily diet, you will get all the minerals that your body wants and needs for optimum health.
1 gallon – Purified or Distilled Water (water should be packaged in glass or sourced directly from a quality filter)
2-3 Tablespoons – Organic, raw apple cider vinegar
1-2 ounces – organic aloe vera juice
1 Tablespoon (or less) raw honey (optional)
In a one gallon glass pitcher or container thoroughly mix together the above ingredients. Place in fridge and drink throughout the day.
How Much Water Should I Drink Every Day? – Take your body weight & divide by two to determine the number of ounces of Oasis Enhanced H2O Formula to drink every day!
†Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. Oasis Advanced Wellness/OAWHealth does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Oasis Advanced Wellness/OAWHealth are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician of choice.