According to the New York Post, “more than 60 percent of Americans rarely feel rested and energized in the morning. And to make matters worse, this daytime tiredness negatively affects 74 percent of respondents’ productivity.” Can you relate? How you begin your day is significant to your overall health, how the remainder of your day will play out, and how you feel. The good news is that employing some of the 28 healthy habits to begin your day listed below can help you begin to feel energized and encourage you to continue healthy habits throughout the day.
February is here, and most of those New Year’s Resolutions we made have gone by the wayside. So let’s try again. First, I suggest you pick at least a couple of the suggestions listed below and do them every day. It usually takes about 21 days to break or form a habit, although some experts don’t agree, I’ve found it true for most people – so try it and see if it works for you.
“If the first thing you do each morning is to eat a live frog, you can go through the day with the satisfaction of knowing that that is probably the worst thing that is going to happen to you all day long.” Mark Twain
28 Healthy Habits to Begin Your Day
Your morning routine sets the tone for the rest of the day and how successful you will be. Below is a list of some excellent healthy habits to begin your day. Some are very easy, and some are a bit more extensive. Choose 2-3 to begin with, and as soon as you realize they are now a habit that you don’t want to quit, add one or two more. In other words – Win Your Mornings!
- Stretch your body – Do a couple of stretches either before you get up or right after.
- Hydrate your body – Drink a glass of purified water with lemon juice, organic apple cider vinegar, and raw honey.
- Make a healthy cup of coffee to drink outside on your deck. Drink in the beauty of nature.
- Spend five to ten minutes in meditation/prayer.
- Walk your dog.
- Make a glass of fresh, raw vegetable juice and drink.
- Take a quiet walk in nature. Listen to the sounds of nature.
- Take a rejuvenating shower and repeat some affirmations.
- Drink some green tea with lemon and raw honey.
- Healthy smoothie – include some healthy fats.
- Do 15 minutes of an exercise video.
- Listen to calming music.
- Make a gratitude list and add at least one entry every morning.
- Write in your journal.
- Practice a breathing exercise such as Win Hoff breathing or Mindful Breathing.
- After your shower, dry body brush.
- Say positive affirmations.
- Look in the mirror and say, I love you!
- Kiss your spouse and tell them that you love them.
- Wake up early so that you have enough time to get your morning routine done.
- Open a window and breathe in fresh air while you make your bed and straighten your bedroom.
- Stay detached from your phone and social media for at least an hour.
- Write down your “To-Do List” for the day.
- Watch a short motivational video while drinking your coffee or smoothie.
- Establish a healthy skincare routine. Use all-natural skincare products.
- Listen to music while getting ready for your day. My personal favorite is the Mozart Effect – Heal the Body.
- Take your morning supplements and vitamins.
- Stop hitting the snooze button.
Bonus: Restful Sleep
I cannot say enough about the importance of restful sleep, even though it’s not technically a morning habit. Before you can implement a few healthy habits to begin your day, the foundation of a rested body and mind will encourage you to get up and begin your morning habits. The way you feel when you’re awake is contingent in part on your sleep habits. If you tend to wake up feeling groggy, irritable, or tired, most likely you are not getting the amount of restful sleep your body requires.
During the sleep cycle, your body is actually working to repair and support your physical health. Restful sleep plays a vital role in your overall well-being — including mental clarity and quality of life. On the other hand, sleep deficiency, usually defined as less than 8 hours of restful sleep each night, can have unfavorable effects on how you think, react, work, learn, and even your ability to get along with others.
After several nights of restful sleep, you will begin to feel refreshed in the mornings and enthusiastic about starting your healthy habits to begin your day.
Good health, happiness, and contentment in life are often encouraged more by employing simple habits. Developing healthy habits to begin your day will definitely take some large amounts of desire, dedication, and determination. Just remember, this is not a race, but slowly implementing habits that support your total health and well-being. It is through creating healthy habits that big things in your life can be accomplished. Go for it!
†Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace your doctor’s advice. Oasis Advanced Wellness/OAWHealth does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Oasis Advanced Wellness/OAWHealth are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician of choice.