For those eating a Paleo or Ketogenic diet, this recipe for Red Cabbage Salad with Carrots and Walnuts is perfect along side grilled chicken, veggie burgers or grilled wild-caught salmon. Not only is this salad delicious but it it nutrient dense and very filling.
The health benefits of red cabbage, carrots and walnuts are many. One of the major nutritional characteristic and benefit of raw walnuts is the ability to nourish and support brain and nervous system function. Red cabbage is rich in fiber, sulphur and even iodine. The beta-carotene in carrots acts as an antioxidant and helps repair cell damage done to the body through regular metabolism. Carrots are also associated with a 32 percent lower risk of coronary heart disease. Research indicates that women may reduce their risk of glaucoma by 64 percent by eating more than two servings weekly of carrots.
Are Carrots and Red Cabbage Allowed on the Paleo and Ketogenic Diets?
The short answer is yes. Both are considered a medium carb. However, be very careful with the amount you consume from such veggies as carrots, red cabbage, onions, and squash. Of course, you can eat these in moderation (not everyday) but you need to be aware of your intake. Don’t over-saturate your diet with carby-veggies.
Red Cabbage Salad with Carrots and Walnuts Recipe
- 1 large organic red cabbage, cored and finely shredded
- 2 large organic carrots, peeled and finely grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh dill
- 1/2 cup raw organic walnut pieces
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed organic lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or white wine vinegar
- Himalayan salt (to taste)
- freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 small garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (3rd party verified)
Additional Ingredients for Red Cabbage Salad with Carrots and Walnuts: Organic cranberries, blueberries, strawberries, grapes, pecans.
- Wash cabbage and carrots thoroughly. Peel carrots if you like.
- Immerse shredded cabbage in cold water for 15 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Drain and pat dry as much as possible.
- Toss together the cabbage, carrots, parsley, walnuts, chives and dill.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, vinegar, Himalayan salt, pepper, garlic and Dijon mustard. Whisk in the olive oil. Toss into the vegetables and herbs. Taste and adjust seasonings to taste. Serve. For a cold salad, before serving allow the salad to sit for 30 minutes to an hour in the refrigerator.
Keto Mayonnaise Salad Dressing for Red Cabbage Salad with Carrots and Walnuts
Some prefer a mayonnaise-based salad dressing for a cabbage salad. This one is delicious!
Use this in place of Step 4 in the Directions above.
- 1/3 Cup Mayonnaise (avocado mayonnaise recommended)
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 tsp. Organic Dijon Mustard
- 1/4 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Onion Powder
- 1/4 tsp. Pepper
- 1/8 tsp. Paprika
- Pinch Salt
Mix all ingredients together then mix into salad.
†Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. Oasis Advanced Wellness/OAWHealth does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Oasis Advanced Wellness/OAWHealth are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician of choice.