This healthy recipe makes a beautiful beet salad that is naturally sweet and is a healthy addition to any holiday buffet or holiday dinner table. Collard greens provide two very important anti-inflammatory nutrients which are Vitamin K and omega-3 fatty acids (in the form of alpha-linolenic acid, or ALA). Chronic inflammation can significantly increase our risk of cancers and other chronic diseases (especially cardiovascular diseases).
Beets have also been shown to fight inflammation. Studies suggest that beets can help lower your risk for heart failure and stroke, and provide impressive benefits for your brain, largely due to their high nitrate content. The body converts nitrates into nitric oxide, which boosts oxygenation and is beneficial to the circulatory and immune systems. It is important to note that in March of 2005, genetically modified sugar beets appeared on the US market for the first time. Currently, GM (genetically modified) sugar beets make up 95 percent of the US beet crop and are listed in the Top 10 Genetically Modified Crops. This makes it best to purchase organic beets for this beautiful beet salad.
Beautiful Beet Salad with Cherry Tomato Dressing Recipe
- 3-4 Collard Greens De-stemmed
- 1 Small Bunch Arugula or Other Local Greens
- Any Pak Choi Leaves with Stems
- 3-4 Organic Kale Leaves De-stemmed
- 1 Bunch Organic Beets (Leaves and Stems)
- 1-2 Cartons of Organic Cherry Tomatoes
- Half Bunch of Spinach
- 4-5 Stalks of Organic Celery
- Optional: Cilantro and Local Organic Strawberries!
- Wash all vegetables thoroughly.
- In a bowl, chop the collards, kale, arugula, and any other local greens. Chop them up as finely as you can into tiny bits.
- Take the beets, cut off the bottom roots, then cut off the top leaves, leaving the stems ready and exposed to chop.
- Chop the stems into tiny bits, and sprinkle over your salad. The color is awesome!
- Save some of the bits for the salad dressing, but place most in the salad.
- If you want to add beat leaves to your salad, do it! They taste delicious!
- Then place the following items into your Vitamix or high-speed blender.
- First, add the cherry tomatoes so that it will blend easily. I use 2 cartons, but for smaller eaters, use one carton.
- Then, add the chopped celery, beet stems, and spinach.
- For extra flavor, feel free to add a small bunch of cilantro.
- After the dressing is blended, mix into your salad with your hands!
Note: If you prefer a sweeter dressing, add some raw honey.
Since most holidays include a focus on high sugar food and drink, the importance of providing healthy foods, especially during holidays, cannot be over-stated. This recipe for a beautiful beet salad not only checks off the box for healthy foods, but also provides a beautiful and colorful addition to your holiday table. Most likely this holiday recipe will become a favorite of both your family and your guests so have those recipe directions ready. Enjoy this dark and beautifully red deliciousness!