Action Alert! HR 4282, the Health Freedom Protection Act Needs You!
As evidence that some representatives in Congress still believe in freedom, there is a new bill challenging the pharmaceutical control of the U.S. population. My favorite congressional representative, Ron Paul (I have dubbed him our unofficial ambassador to the U.S. Constitution) has introduced the Health Freedom Protection Act, HR 4282…
Health freedom champion Tim Bolen broke this story on the Bolen Report last Sunday. Unlike most bills in Congress, which secretly reduce the level of freedom that American’s may enjoy, this bill actually strikes a blow FOR freedom. Read Ron Paul’s introductory remarks regarding this legislation here. Read on to learn more about what HR 4282 would do if it became law.
Healing is simple and so is this bill. When enacted, the bill will:
(1) amend the drug and health claim provisions of the Food Drug and Cosmetic Act (FDCA) to permit truthful disease treatment claims for foods and dietary supplements (presently FDA prohibits all such claims.
(2) prohibit FDA from preventing any who sell foods and supplements from sending consumers government reports (and accurate quotes form government reports) on nutrient-disease associations.
(3) prohibit FDA from preventing any who sell foods and supplements from sending consumers scientific publications on nutrient-disease associations;
(4) limit FDA disclaimers on health claims to no more than three concise sentences.
(5) require FDA to permit health claims to be made unless FDA proves there to be no scientific evidence to support the claims and no disclaimer capable of avoiding misleadingness;
(6) compel FDA to approve or disapprove health claim petitions within 100 days or the claims will be automatically allowed.
(7) require FDA to consider studies of the treatment effect of nutrients in evaluation of nutrient-disease prevention claims.
(8) prohibit FDA from waiving conflicts of interest in its food advisory panels considering health claims.
(9) reverse FDAs denial or restriction of the following nutrient-disease association claims: (a) saw palmetto treating benign prostatic hyperplasia; (b) omega-3 fatty acids and coronary heart disease; (c) omega-3 fatty acids and sudden death heart attacks; (d) glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate treating osteoarthritis; and (e) calcium reducing the risk of bone fractures.
(10) prevent FDA from disallowing structure function claims that include terms that refer to signs or symptoms of disease so long as the disease itself is not mentioned.
(11) amend the deceptive advertising provisions of the Federal Trade Commission Act (FTCA) to make all publications exempt from regulation by the amendment to the FDCA also exempt from regulation by the FTC.
(12) prohibit FTC from regulating as advertising any truthful and accurate summary of findings from peer-reviewed scientific publication.
(13) require FTC to give notice and an opportunity to cure to any company suspected of engaging in deceptive advertising of a health benefit.
(14) prohibit FTC from commencing a deceptive advertising investigation of a health benefit promotion unless FTC possesses proof by a preponderance of the evidence that the ad is false and misleading.
(15) require FTC to prove that an ad is false and misleading and that it actually misleads consumers before FTC may hold an advertiser guilty of deceptive advertising.
The bill, the “Health Freedom Protection Act, HR 4282”, co-sponsored by Congressmen Ron Paul (TX), Peter DeFazio (OR), Dan Burton (IN), Walter Jones (NC), Rob Bishop (UT), John J. Duncan (TN), Roscoe Bartlett (MD), Jeff Miller (FL), Butch Otter (ID) and Tom Tancredo (CO).
Please contact your congressional representative and let them know that when it comes to healing, you want MORE freedom, not less. Unless they believe in a pharmaceutical nanny-state, they should have no problem “allowing” their constituents access to MORE truthful and not-misleading options regarding healthcare choices. Also, say thanks to those brave representatives listed above for taking on the drug cartel in order to let a little liberty back into the healing realm.
Remember, only a groundswell of support from the People can overwhelm anti-freedom pharmaceutical lobbyists on this issue. As this bill garners publicity, you will see the drug-lap-dogs on Madison Avenue working overtime to couch this bill in terms such as “dangerous,” catastrophic,” irresponsible,” and even more “dangerous.” Would they actually ignore the fact that:
The number one cause of unnecessary death in the United States, called Iatrogenic deaths (the system itself) is 783,986.
The number two cause of unnecessary death in the United States is Heart Disease. Statistics show “The 2001 heart disease annual death rate is 699,697.”
The number three cause of unnecessary death in the United States is Cancer. Statistics show “the annual cancer death rate, 553,251.”
The total number of known unnecessary deaths, per year, directly due to the American Medical System is 2,036,884.
Anytime the mainstream media warns us against the danger of “unregulated” dietary supplements, just throw the FACTS about REGULATED DRUGS back in their face. If you would like to read the ACTUAL BILL HR 4282 in its raw form, please click this link and pull it up from the Bolen Report right now. Freedom depends upon our willingness to EXERCISE IT. HR 2482 looks like a good workout. Let’s give it a go.
Contact ANYONE on the committee listed below!!!
COMMITTEE MEMBERS PAGE