Your liver is not only the major filter of your body but also a major workhorse for your body. As such it should be properly maintained and supported. Consuming a liver detox juice 2-3 times a week can help support the cleansing ability of your liver and gallbladder as well as support both liver and gallbladder health.
Did you know that the incidence of fatty liver, in the US alone, is 20-25% of the population and is much higher in obese individuals? In fact, 90% of all obese people have fatty liver disease, as do 50 percent of all diabetics. It also occurs in children. Fatty liver is the most common cause of abnormal liver function tests in the US.
A healthy liver efficiently filters out toxins, regulates fat metabolism, and is the major fat-burning organ in the body. A healthy liver not only burns fat, it will also pump excessive fat out of the body through the bile into the gut. If your liver is healthy, weight control will not be difficult. However, an unhealthy liver such as fatty liver does the opposite of what it’s supposed to do. The fatty liver becomes a storehouse for fat when in actuality it should be burning fat and removing excess fat from the body. If allowed to progress for many years it can contribute to severe health and longevity consequences including gallbladder disease.
Factors that May Put You at Risk for Gallbladder Disease
- Age. If you are over the age of 50 you have a greater chance for gallbladder disease.
- Gender. Women who are over forty and overweight make up the population that has the most frequent gallbladder surgery.
- Synthetic Hormone replacement therapy. Estrogen stimulates the production of gallstones, so women on synthetic hormone replacement therapy or those who have taken birth control pills for many years sometimes have gall bladder disease. Using bioidentical hormone replacement therapy is a safer option for hormone imbalance. Estrogen dominance could also contribute to gallbladder disease.
- Diet. There is a generally recognized link between a diet high in unhealthy fats, oils, and sugar and the likelihood of gall bladder disease. This is the SAD diet that most Americans eat today.
- Obesity. People who are obese secrete bile that is saturated with cholesterol, making them more likely to develop gallstones.
- Constipation. Constipation and slow intestinal transit time are linked to the formation of gallstones.
Using a Liver Detox Juice Recipe to Cleanse Your Liver and Gallbladder can:
- Support energy levels.
- Support healthy inflammation levels.
- Support healthy immune function.
- Support healthy fat metabolism.
- Support healthy hormone balance.
- Support Healthy weight support.
Liver Detox Juice Recipe – Carrot, Beet, Apple, Celery
3 large or 4 medium organic carrots
½ – 1 organic beet + leaves
2 small organic red apples
¼ head organic purple cabbage
3 – 4 stalks organic celery
Ginger Root – ½ inch
Juice from one organic lemon or lime
Ice cubes made from purified water (optional)
Thoroughly wash all fruits and vegetables.
Place a few ice cubes into the juice catcher along with the organic lemon/lime juice.
Run the remainder of the ingredients through your juicer. Drink immediately.
Why FRESH Raw Juice?
Unlike heat-treated commercial juice, freshly made juices are full of live enzymes, antioxidants, and many other nutrients that are available to the body very quickly. In fact, some say that drinking freshly extracted juice is comparable to having an energy transfusion from the plants involved into your body’s cells.
Since fresh juice is very easy on the digestive tract, this is one of the quickest ways to deliver nutrients to important organs like your liver. Fresh vegetable juices in particular are so powerful they are often central components of natural treatments for various diseases and have a cleansing and rejuvenating effect throughout your body.
Raw juices don’t keep well. While one of the reasons that fresh lemon or lime is added to the Fresh Liver and Gallbladder Tonic as an aid in the prevention of oxidization, you will get the best results by drinking it immediately after juicing.
CAUTION: Fresh raw juicing is not a complete meal. Instead, it should be used either as a healthy snack or as a complement to a meal that consists of healthy fats and clean proteins.
Those with a history of oxalate-containing kidney stones should limit their consumption of beets. Talk to your healthcare professional.
It’s important to begin slowly when consuming Liver Detox Raw Juice. Do not go overboard, especially if your body is not yet accustomed to raw juicing.
The Liver Detox Juice is so potent that it may cause a Herxheimer reaction as toxins are being eliminated. This process may cause some discomfort but there is nothing to be alarmed about. During this time, drink plenty of water also to flush out the toxic materials.
See my article Health Benefits of Raw Juicing and get the recipe for Fresh & Healthy V8 Juice.
- Bobek P, Galbavy S, Mariassyova M. The effect of red beet (Beta vulgaris var. rubra) fiber on alimentary hypercholesterolemia and chemically induced colon carcinogenesis in rats. Nahrung 2000 Jun;44(3):184-7. 2000.
- Elbandy MA and Abdelfadeil MG. Stability of betalain pigments from a red beetroot (Beta vulgaris). Poster Session Presentation. The First International Conference of Food Industries and Biotechnology & Associated Fair. Al-Baath University, North Sinai, Egypt. Available online at: www.albaath univ.edu.sy/foodex2010/connections/ Posters/6.pdf. 2010.
- Lee CH, Wettasinghe M, Bolling BW et al. Betalains, phase II enzyme-inducing components from red beetroot (Beta vulgaris L.) extracts. Nutr Cancer. 2005;53(1):91-103. 2005.
- Lucarini M, Lanzi S, D’Evoli L et al. Intake of vitamin A and carotenoids from the Italian population–results of an Italian total diet study. Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 2006 May;76(3):103-9. 2006.
- Reddy MK, Alexander-Lindo RL and Nair MG. Relative inhibition of lipid peroxidation, cyclooxygenase enzymes, and human tumor cell proliferation by natural food colors. J Agric Food Chem. 2005 Nov 16;53(23):9268-73. 2005.
- Renner-Nance J. Improving the stability and performance of naturally derived color additives. DD Williamson Support Center Presentation, Louisville, KY, June 8, 2009. Available online at: www.naturalcolors.com/./File/naturalcolors/./Session139-02.pdf. 2009.
- Song W, Derito CM, Liu MK et al. Cellular antioxidant activity of common vegetables. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Jun 9;58(11):6621-9. 2010.
- World’s Healthiest Foods, Beets
- Nutr J. 2012 Dec 11;11:106
- Am J Clin Nutr September 2004 vol. 80 no. 3 539-549
- J Complement Integr Med. 2013 Jun 26;10
†Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. Oasis Advanced Wellness/OAWHealth does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Oasis Advanced Wellness/OAWHealth are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician of choice.