Citrus Cocoa-Nib Salad
Serves 6 – Antioxidant-rich cocoa nibs—crushed, roasted cocoa beans—are available in natural foods stores and specialty shops. They aren't at all sweet but add a lush, flavorful note to simple salads like this one. You can also sprinkle them on granola or cereal, blend into smoothies, or use as a substitute for nuts or chocolate chips.
- 3 tablespoons fresh organic orange juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh organic lemon juice
- 1/4 cup good-quality olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- 8 cups mild salad greens, such as mesclun or red leaf lettuce
- 2 tablespoons cocoa nibs
- 1 organic avocado, sliced
1. Mix citrus juices and whisk in olive oil in a slow stream until dressing is thickened. Add salt.
2. Wash greens and place in a bowl. Pour dressing over greens. Add cocoa nibs and toss. Arrange avocado slices atop greens and serve.