Healthy Wild Rice Pilaf
Prep and Cook Time: 45 minutes, baking time: 1 hour
We recommend using as many organic ingredients as possible.
- ½ cup wild rice
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup diced celery, about ¼ inch pieces
- 2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 med green apple, diced about ¼ inch pieces
- 4 med cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- 6 dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 TBS chopped fresh sage
- 3 TBS chopped fresh thyme
- ½ TBS fennel seeds
- 3/4 cup + 1 TBS chicken broth
- 2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring 3½ cups of lightly salted water to a boil. While water is coming to a boil rinse the wild rice under running water in a strainer. When water is boiling add both wild and brown rice, cover, turn heat to low and cook for about 45 minutes, until tender. Do not overcook. You will most likely have excess water when rice is cooked properly. Put cooked rice in a strainer and drain out excess water. Set aside in a bowl large enough to mix everything together.
- Heat 1 TBS chicken broth in a large stainless steel skillet. Healthy Sauté onion in broth over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and celery and continue to sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix all the stuffing ingredients together in bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Place stuffing in an 8 inch square baking dish and bake covered for about 1 hour. Drizzle with olive oil and mix with a fork keeping it fluffy. Serves 6
Healthy Cooking Tips:
It is important to use a good rich tasting broth for flavor and not over cook the rice in the beginning as it will continue to cook in the oven.
Healthy Sauté – Start your Healthy Sauté by heating 1 TBS of broth in a stainless steel skillet over medium heat. Once the broth begins to bubble add onions and sauté stirring frequently. After the onions have cooked for about 5 minutes, you can then add other ingredients such as garlic, or fresh ginger. Once they have had a chance to cook together for just another minute, add other vegetables. This method enables you to have flavorful sautéed vegetables without heating oil.