Natural Sinus Cleansing & Irrigation – Effective and Easy
Sinus congestion, allergies, the common cold, sinus headaches – all are symptoms indicating that all may not be well in the sinus cavities. Drugging with antihistamines, anti-inflammatories, antibiotics does not get to the root of the concern. Instead it temporarily slows down mucous production. When the meds are discontinued, the process usually begins all over again.
Nasal Irrigation Using the Oasis Neti Pot
The Oasis Neti Pot is used to gently wash away excess mucous, bacteria, pollen, allergens and viruses from the sinus cavities. The excellent thing about the Oasis Neti Pot is that it can reach the maxillary sinus, located on either side of your nose, underneath the cheek bone. When the maxillary sinus fills with pus or excess mucous you will begin to feel throbbing and pain. Not only does it hurt, but it provides a further retreat for bacteria and viruses. However, nasal irrigation is able to "open" the sinuses by washing out the pus and mucous. Then, the immune system's IgA antibodies, which live on the mucous membranes of your nose, are able to work effectively.
Note: According to research, 1 in 700 people are IgA deficient. The Oasis Neti Pot is extremely important for these people. If you get sinus infections, colds and other sinus problems on a frequent basis, you may want to get a test done to see if you have IgA deficiency. It's a simple and easy swab-up-the-nose test.
What You Will Need
- Oasis Neti Pot (OAW offers the only ceramic Neti Pot made in the USA)
- Himalayan Crystal Salt
- Distilled Water (bottled in glass) or Wellness Water – warm
- Baking Soda – a pinch
- Xylitol – a pinch (I recommend Smart Sweet Xylitol)
- Grapefruit Seed Extract – 1 drop
- Nascedyne – 1 drop (optional)
- ACS200 Colloidal Silver (optional)
- Box of Tissues
Instructions for Dr. Lanphier's Sinus Irrigation Initial Ten Day Cleanse
- Fill the Oasis Neti Pot with warm distilled water. Must be warm. Do not use hot or cold water.
- Add 1/4-1/2 teaspoon of Himalayan Crystal salt. I do not recommend mineral salts or sea salts because some people are allergic to shellfish. Remember that normal table salt is processed and bleached and therefore not recommended.
- Add a pinch of baking soda as it will soften the water a bit so it's easier on your mucous membranes. It will also help with alkalinity. Also add a pinch of Xylitol which is an effective bacteria killer and sinus passageway cleanser.
- Some people prefer to do this procedure in the shower. However, it can also be done over a sink or sitting down with a big bowl on the table in front of you.
- IMPORTANT: You MUST keep your mouth open and breathe through your mouth during this whole procedure. DO NOT breathe through your nose.
- Insert the Oasis Neti Pot spout into one side of your nose. Lean your head slightly to one side and forward a bit. This will allow the special herbal water to flow from one side of your nose to the other. This gentle flow action pushes out the mucous and also drops off the special herbal water in your sinuses.
- Stay in this head bent and tilted position while the water runs out – about 20 seconds.
- When 20 seconds is up, remove the spout and very gently blow your nose. Do not block one nostril while blowing your nose since this will force the mucous up closer to your brain. Also do not blow forcibly as this will push the mucous into your ear canal. Just blow very gently and lightly.
- Repeat on the other nostril. Do this one time on each side. Refill the Oasis Neti Pot as needed.
After cleansing with the Himalayan Crystal salt, refill the Oasis Neti Pot again with warm Wellness Water and place 1 drop of Grapefruit Seed Extract in the warm water and swish around a bit. Only use the Grapefruit Seed Extract for the initial 10-day cleanse and during mucous buildup and sinus congestion. After cleansing, do not use the Grapefruit Seed Extract daily as it is designed to break up mucous and help with congestion. Instead of using Grapefruit Seed Extract you may use Nascedyne (1-drop) in the Oasis Neti Pot or ACS200 Colloidal Silver (1 teaspoon).
The daily cleansing procedure takes 3-4 minutes. With practice and as you become more proficient, it will go by quickly. If you suffer from allergies or sinus build-up, after the initial cleanse, use Silver Elite Molecular Silver as indicated above at least 3 times weekly.
Thoroughly rinse out the Oasis Neti Pot with hot water and allow to air dry. I do not recommend placing the Oasis Neti Pot in the dishwasher unless you are using soap that does not contain toxic chemicals. It is best to buy one Oasis Neti Pot for each family member so that germs/bacteria/viruses are not spread.
What You Will Feel
In the beginning you may feel all cleared up and immediately realize how much easier it is to breathe. However, there is also the possibility that you may feel a bit more stuffed up than before. If so, don't worry or begin blowing your nose hard. Be patient, wait a bit, giving the salt water time to work. The salt water will eventually begin to break up all the mucous. Within several minutes, the mucous should begin to come out of your nose. Be sure to have tissues close by as you will be amazed at how fast it works. Again – do not blow hard and do not close off one nostril and begin to blow your nose. If you do blow hard or close off one nostril, you may make your sinus congestion return – or worse, move it into your ear. If you do not see good results, wait for 20 minutes and repeat the initial cleanse.
It is recommended to perform the Sinus Irrigation Cleanse two times daily for 10 days and then two to three times weekly. For maintenance do not use Grapefruit Seed Extract. A simple nasal irrigation with Himalayan Crystal salt, baking soda and Xylitol is all that is needed if you have only a slight buildup If you are suffering from a cold, allergies or sinus congestion, use the sinus cleanse with Grapefruit Seed Extract, Nascedyne or ACS200 Colloidal Silver 2-times daily (morning and evening) until feeling better.