As one of the fruits with the most vitamin C, the health benefits of oranges are many. Not only do oranges add a zesty taste to many recipes but are also a refreshing snack providing a sweet and tart taste. Oranges are classified into two categories—sweet and bitter—with the sweet orange being the type most commonly consumed. Oranges are also one of the most popular fruits in the entire world.
Oranges originated in the region from southern China to Indonesia and then spread to India. They were cultivated in the Middle East sometime around the 9th century. Sweet oranges were introduced into Europe around the 15th century by various groups including the Moors, and the Portuguese as well as the Italian traders and explorers who found them on their voyages to Asia and the Middle East. Christopher Columbus brought seeds to the Carribbean Islands on his second voyage to the New World in the late 15th century. Spanish explorers brought oranges to Florida in the 16th century and Spanish missionaries brought them to California in the 18th century.
Just one orange has over 170 different phytochemicals and more than 60 flavonoids, of which many have been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties and strong antioxidant effects. There are many, many good reasons why everyone should be eating an orange every day. For now, let’s look at the top 14 health benefits of oranges.
14 Health Benefits of Oranges
- lowers high blood pressure
- supplies 116.2% of daily value for vitamin C
- disarms free radicals
- prevents damage in the aqueous environment both inside & outside of cells
- reduces risk of colon cancer
- reduces severity of asthma, osteoarthritis & arthritis
- prevents oxidation of cholesterol
- polymethoxylated flavones (PMFs) have potential to lower cholesterol more effectively than some prescription meds, without side effects
- promotes healthy immune system
- reduces risk of death from all causes including heart disease, stroke & cancer
- significant protection against esophageal, oro-phayngeal/laryngeal (mouth, larynx and pharynx) & stomach cancers
- provides 12.5% of daily fiber value
- fights against viral infections
Orange & Avocado Salad Recipe
8 C mixed organic salad greens
1 C avocado, diced
¼ C silvered red onions
½ C Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette (below)
Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette Recipe
1 C packed cilantro
½ C extra-virgin, cold-pressed olive oil
¼ C lime juice
½ tsp Himalayan salt
½ tsp pepper
Pinch fresh minced garlic
Puree in blender or food processor until smooth. Mix with salad and enjoy!
The Health Benefits of Citrus Fruits – Summary Booklet. Horticulture Australia Limited, Accessed 14 February 2014.
The World’s Healthiest Foods.org