Okay…I confess…I love a deep love for chocolate. So when I find recipes that incorporate healthy chocolate, I’m usually sold. However, when I first heard of chocolate hummus, I thought to myself “how could that even taste good?” Being up for any recipe that contains chocolate and is simple to make, I decided to give this healthy chocolate hummus dessert recipe a try. Needless to say, I am quite impressed that this chocolate dessert spread not only satisfies my chocolate cravings, but tastes scrumptious and is full of healthy protein. In my book, it’s a definite home run!
This vegan chocolate hummus dip is likely one of the healthiest and delicious discoveries of all time. Okay, maybe I’m a bit overboard in saying that – just remember that I love chocolate. While the maple syrup makes this chocolate hummus delightfully sweet, the recipe is still within the realm of being healthy. The protein and fiber in the garbanzo beans helps to slow down any sugar entering the body, which helps to make this vegan dessert hummus healthier than most other decadent desserts.
DID YOU KNOW?
Beans, and chickpeas in particular, have been shown to help balance cholesterol levels, reduce hypertension and protect against heart disease. (r)
Being a sweet dessert hummus, it tastes wonderful with tart applies, raspberries or fresh strawberries. There are many other ways you can enjoy this healthy chocolate hummus dessert recipe. Pack it in school lunches with some healthy pretzel sticks or spread it on whole wheat bread for a sweet sandwich treat or add fruit for a delightful breakfast. Set it out as a dip with a variety of dippers such as pretzel rods, pita chips, or harder fruit such as apple slices.
RELATED: 25 Super Health Benefits of Cacao
Quick and Easy
It only takes about 5 minutes to make this chocolate hummus dessert recipe, and it’s definitely cheaper than store-bought. You can customize it to you and your family’s liking without having to worry about those “extra” ingredients often found in store-bought hummus.
Healthy chocolate hummus dessert can also be made in advance. Store it in a sealed container in the fridge for about 4 to 5 days. Before serving, first bring it up to room temperature by setting it out on your kitchen counter for a bit. If you do serve it straight from the fridge, it will taste good, but may be a harder consistency. Just stir in a few spoonfuls of purified water or almond milk to thin it out a bit. Like other types of hummus, healthy chocolate hummus can be frozen but will need to be remixed after defrosting to get it back to the best consistency.
Healthy Chocolate Hummus Dessert Recipe
This healthy Chocolate Hummus Dessert Recipe combines two great snacks into one.
Vegan, gluten free | Prep Time 5 minutes | Total Time 5 minutes
Serves: Approximate 8 people
- 15 ounce organic garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1/4 cup organic cacao powder
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (class B)
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon organic almond extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Pinch Himalayan salt
- Chopped dark chocolate (optional)
- Sliced almonds (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a Vitamix or other high speed food processor until smooth and creamy. Place in fridge for approximately Garnish with chopped dark chocolate and sliced almonds.
1. Drizzle the top with organic melted organic peanut butter.
2. Sprinkle some organic cinnamon on the top.
3. Top with organic mini chocolate chips.
4. Add in shredded coconut and even some coconut butter.
5. Add in a few drops of mint extract for a chocolate mint option. You can add some espresso powder as well for a Peppermint Mocha version.
6. Mexican Hot Chocolate Hummus: Add in lots of cinnamon and a touch of nutmeg. And if you dare, you can add some chili powder or cayenne. This idea is probably best for adults-only.
I don’t know about you, but it seems it’s becoming more and more difficult to get children to eat healthy. That’s why I love to provide dessert and snack recipes that children will love and even ask for. I’m pretty sure your kids will love this healthy chocolate hummus dessert recipe the first time they try it. They don’t have to know there are garbanzo beans in the recipe – make that your secret. Plus, with the variety of additional items to add to the recipe, you can almost serve a different version every week for a long time! Here’s to healthy eating…