With it’s roots in Northern Africa, the first known documentation of aloe vera leaf used in medicine was in the ancient Egyptian Papyrus ebers, which provided twelve different recipes for healing with aloe. Today, aloe vera leaf (commonly known as Aloe barbadensis) is known for it’s many health and healing properties both topically and orally — from reducing wrinkles to soothing digestive tract concerns. When taken internally, aloe vera leaf works wonders for assimilation, circulation, and elimination. In fact, we would probably find that many have aloe vera in some form or fashion in their personal medicine chest. Aloe vera leaf is a very simple plant to grow and rather than purchase an aloe vera product, many decide to purchase aloe vera leaf plants and grow them in their garden or on their patio.
Although Aloe vera leaf is not a natural vegetarian source of Vitamin B12 as many sites indicate, it does seem to have the ability to enhance the absorption of B12 for older people, according to some studies.(1)
One of the many healing compounds of Aloe vera leaf is Acemannan which is a D-isomer mucopolysaccharide in aloe vera leaves. This compound has been known to have immunostimulant (2), antiviral, antineoplastic and gastrointestinal properties (3).
Health Benefits of Aloe Vera Leaf
- helps heal skin wounds
- stimulates cellular rejuvenation of the skin
- hydrates the skin
- reduces pain of canker sores
- increases stomach mucosal production
- supports digestion & detoxification
- anti-obesity effect
- hypoglycemic activity
- powerful antioxidant
- helps with pre-diabetes & metabolic syndrome
- helps with high blood pressure
- helps with burning mouth syndrome
- anti-fungal properties
- anti-bacterial & antiseptic properties
- useful with burns – repairs skin tissue
- helps with joint & muscle pain
- anti-inflammatory properties
- high in essential amino acids
- boosts oxygenation of blood
- anti-aging properties
- helps with digestive disorders
Strawberry Aloe Juice
1 cup of organic frozen or fresh strawberries
1/2 Juiced lemon
1 Cup cold coconut water or purified ice water
1-2 tablespoons raw honey
1-2 ounces R PUR Aloe whole leaf aloe vera concentrate
Place ingredients into blender and blend until smooth.
1. Devaraj, S., Patel, S., Jialal, R., Jialal, I. Aloe supplements enhance bioavailability of vitamin C and B12 in older adults. The FASEB Journal: Experimental Biology 2007 Abstracts 8.1-701.35. Washington, DC; April 28-May 2, 2007.