Summer is the time of year when most families find themselves constantly on-the-go and in a never-ending flurry of activities. Making sure there is a variety of on-hand healthy summer snacks can be daunting even for the most health-conscious and organized parent. Ideally children should snack every 3-4 hours to keep insulin levels normal and to provide the extra vitamins, nutrients and fluids their growing body needs. One of the best ways to encourage healthy summer snacks is to have them already prepared as in ready-to-go-snacks. Below are some easy and healthy summer snacks that can help you plan delicious and nutritious summer snack foods for your children and their friends! Remember preparation is the key and good health is the result. But…shhhh!…don’t mention the “healthy” part to the kids.
13 Healthy Summer Snacks for Children
1. Provide organic fruits such as grapes, orange slices, cherries and strawberries washed, sliced and ready-to-eat in a cool-looking bowl in the fridge. Kids will love the convenience and will be refreshed by cold fruit on those hot summer afternoons. If you are traveling, place ice packs in a cooler and put the sliced fruits in baggies. Search the Internet for a healthy fruit dip that your children will like.
2. Make healthy popsicles out of freshly juiced fruits or organic, no sugar added fruit juice. Add some banana, strawberry, blueberries, orange, mangoes, etc. pieces to the mixture. Peach, Mango and Strawberry-Orange popsicles will earn you the parent-of-the-year award!
3. Put together (in advance) pre-portioned bags of snacks such as healthy granola (no sugar!), snack bars, etc. so that they are ready to grab for a healthy snack on-the-go.
4. Keep a bowl of pre-cut veggies such as carrots, celery, bell peppers, squash, etc. in the fridge. Make up several fresh healthy dips in which to dip the veggies.
5. Make your own “healthy” trail mix and pre-portion it into snack bags.
6. Peel and halve bananas, put wooden sticks into the end and freeze. Banana Pops are delicioius and provide potassium.
7. Using a Vita Mix or one of the high speed blenders one can make a very healthy ice-cream using frozen fruit, stevia/xylitol/honey, organic cream/milk/almond milk/hempseed milk and vanilla.
8. Keep a jug of our healthy Summer Thirst Quenchers in the fridge.
9. Organic Apple Sandwich Snack (Almond butter is best!) Your children will LOVE making these fun and tasty treats.
10. Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies make a great cookie-break snack- gluten free and delicious!
11. On especially hot afternoons, treat your children to a Fresh Strawberry Milkshake made with almond milk!
12. Baked Sweet Potato Chips. Easy to make and your children will love them. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Thinly slice sweet potatoes no more than 1/8″ thick. Place on a baking sheet and brush lightly with unrefined coconut oil. Bake for about 15 minutes or until chips are lightly brown. Add some Himalayan Crystal Salt. Serve with homemade salsa or dip.
13. Prepare Smoothie Bags Ahead of Time – Make frozen smoothie packs every Sunday to last the whole week. In the bags place several pre-chopped fruits and at least one green veggie. When you’re ready to enjoy a smoothie just pick a bag and blend. Simple and quick. Add almond milk and a scoop of your favorite protein powder when it’s time to make them and you’ve got an instant healthy and great tasting afternoon smoothie for your children.
Snack time for your children doesn’t have to be laden with chemicals often found in pre-packaged foods, high-fructose corn syrup or refined sugar. Include your children in the planning and preparation. They will enjoy the time spent with Mom or Dad and you will be teaching them important healthy eating habits even when all they want is a quick snack. Healthy Summer Snacks Rock!!
†Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. Oasis Advanced Wellness/OAWHealth does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Oasis Advanced Wellness/OAWHealth are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician of choice.
Related articles across the web