The inherent consequences of unchecked exposure to electromagnetic field (EMF) radiation are broad. Electromagnetic frequencies (EMFs) are commonly dismissed because the devices that emit low-level EMFs provide many conveniences to our hectic modern day lifestyle. Devices that repeatedly emit EMF radiation at quantities that damage your mitochondria include the following: your cellphone, cellphone towers, Wi-Fi routers and modems, baby monitors and “smart” devices of all kinds, including smart meters and smart appliances. We must be aware and understand that the side effects of EMFs develop slowly over time. With all of this in mind, let’s talk about how you can diminish your emf exposure by first understanding the types of damaging EMFs.
“The foremost danger of EMFs — and what powers the processes of chronic disease — is the mitochondrial damage triggered by peroxynitrites. Peroxynitrites are one of the most damaging types of reactive nitrogen species.” Martin Pall, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus of biochemistry and basic medical sciences at Washington State University.
Types of Damaging EMFs
EMFs can be roughly divided into three categories.
AC electric fields at 60 Hz (50 Hz in Europe) from house wiring and corded appliances (especially ungrounded ones: cords that have only two prongs rather than three). Electric fields are the most challenging to measure accurately and seriously contributes to the confusion about EMFs.
AC magnetic fields at 60/50Hz Hz from power lines, wiring errors on house wiring, current on grounding paths, and from motors and transformers.
Radio frequencies (RF)
Radio frequencies from cellphones, smart meters, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and other wireless devices
In addition to the three categories above, there is dirty electricity, or EMI (electromagnetic interference) caused by transient voltage spikes. Going back in history to the end of World War I, around 1918, and using that time-frame as a baseline of EMF exposure among the general public, you will realize that EMF exposure has increased about 1 quintillion times over the past 100 years!
It’s absurd to assume that this radical increase couldn’t have some dangerous effects. In reality, most people are experiencing biological impacts as a result of EMF exposure, but have no understanding of the damage it’s causing until it’s too late. Even then, it’s highly difficult to link EMF exposure to the symptoms or the disease.
Some Facts About EMFs
The International Association of Firefighters officially oppose cell towers on fire stations, and have done so since 2004, after research showed firefighters with antennas on their stations suffered neurological damage, including memory issues, intermittent confusion and feelings of weakness.
Headaches, Memory Issues, Dizziness, Sleep Disturbances
The American Academy of Pediatrics and many other medical organizations are calling for federal action to protect children from EMF exposures, citing research showing that living near mobile phone base stations is associated with an increased risk for headaches, memory issues, dizziness, depression and sleep disturbances.
Anxiety, Depression, Alzheimer’s, Autism
Research by Pall published in 2016 detail how, when VGCCs are activated in the brain, they release neurotransmitters and neuroendocrine hormones. Hence, consequences of chronic EMF exposure to the brain also include anxiety, depression, autism and Alzheimer’s.
Preliminary results from the largest long-term study of brain development and youth health in the U.S., the Adolescent Brain Cognitive Development (ABCD) Study, also reveals the brains of the most prolific users of electronic devices look different compared to those who use smartphones, tablets and video games less frequently. Children who use electronic devices for seven hours or more each day have premature thinning of the brain cortex, the outer brain layer that processes information from the five physical senses (taste, touch, sight, smell and sound). As little as two hours of screen time per day may impact cognition, resulting in lower scores on thinking and language tests.
Learn More About the Health Risks of 5G
You can download a 2-page fact sheet on 5G from the Environmental Health Trust. On their website, you can also access a long list of published scientific studies showing cause for concern. In “5G Wireless Telecommunications Expansion: Public Health and Environmental Implications,” published in Environmental Research in August 2018, Dr. Cindy Russell, executive director of Physicians for Safe Technologym writes:
“Like other common toxic exposures, the effects of radiofrequency electromagnetic radiation (RF EMR) will be problematic if not impossible to sort out epidemiologically as there no longer remains an unexposed control group. This is especially important considering these effects are likely magnified by synergistic toxic exposures and other common health risk behaviors. Effects can also be nonlinear.
Because this is the first generation to have cradle-to-grave life span exposure to this level of man-made microwave (RF EMR) radiofrequencies, it will be years or decades before the true health consequences are known. Precaution in the roll out of this new technology is strongly indicated.”
How to Diminish Your EMF Exposure
Below are 19 suggestions you can use to diminish your EMF exposure and thus help reduce damage from inevitable exposures. For even more information about how you can diminish your EMF exposure see the PDF infographic of Do’s and Don’ts by the Environmental Health Trust.
1. Pinpoint serious sources of EMF in your home and office, such as cellphones, cordless phones, Wi-Fi routers, Bluetooth headsets and other Bluetooth-equipped items, wireless mice, keyboards, smart thermostats, baby monitors, smart meters as well as the microwave in your kitchen. It’s important to address each source and decide how you can best limit or stop their use.
Children should not use a cellphone or a wireless device of any type other than for an emergency. Children are much more endangered to cellphone radiation than adults because they have thinner skull bones, immune systems, and brains that are continuing to develop.
2. To diminish your EMF exposure, use a wired Ethernet connection to connect your desktop computer to the internet and put your desktop in airplane mode. It’s an excellent idea to avoid wireless keyboards, trackballs, mice, game systems, printers and portable house phones. Instead, use the wired versions.
3. If you must use Wi-Fi, shut it off when not in use, especially at night when you are sleeping. It’s a good idea to work toward hardwiring your entire house which will enable you to eliminate Wi-Fi altogether. If you have a notebook without any Ethernet ports, a USB Ethernet adapter will make it easy for you to connect to the internet with a wired connection.
4. Wireless chargers for your cellphone will increase EMFs throughout your home. Wireless charging is also much less energy efficient than using a dongle attached to a power plug because it draws continuous power (and emits EMF) whether you’re using it or not.
Venkat Srinivasan, director of Argonne Collaborative Center for Energy Storage Science says that keeping your cellphone or tablet fully charged at all times will reduce the life of the battery, which then necessitates buying a brand-new phone. As a lithium ion battery charges and discharges, ions pass between a positive electrode and a negative electrode. The higher the battery is charged the faster the ions degrade making it much better to cycle between 45 percent and 55 percent.
5. To diminish your EMF exposure at night, turn off the electricity to your bedroom and any adjoining room next to your bedroom which will work to reduce electrical fields from the wires in your wall. Do not sleep with your head or body near a wall that has the electric panel, electric meter or appliance on the other side.
6. Purchase a battery-powered alarm clock, ideally one without a light that stays on. Corded alarm clocks and radios can have intense EMFs, so make sure your alarm clock is battery powered.
7. Replace your microwave oven with a steam convection oven. A steam convection oven will heat your food quickly and much more safely. Do not stand near a microwave oven when it is on.
8. “Smart” appliances and thermostats that depend on wireless signaling should be avoided. This includes all new “smart” TVs. They are labeled as “smart” because they emit a Wi-Fi signal and there is no way to shut the Wi-Fi signal off. Using a large computer monitor as your TV is a better idea since they don’t emit Wi-Fi.
9. Reject a smart meter on your home or add a shield to an existing smart meter. Some of these shields have been shown to reduce radiation by 98 to 99 percent thus providing extra help to diminish your EMF exposure.
10. Move your baby’s bed into your room instead of using a wireless baby monitor or use a hard-wired monitor.
11. Replace any CFL bulbs with incandescent bulbs. It’s also a good idea to remove all fluorescent lights from your house. Not only do they emit unhealthy light; they will actually transfer current to your body by just being close to the bulbs.
12. Don’t carrying your cellphone on your body or sleep with it in your bedroom unless it’s in airplane mode. Understand that even in airplane mode it can emit signals. You may want to consider using a Faraday bag.
Don’t rely on a “radiation shield” or other products claiming to block RF energy, electromagnetic fields, or radiation from cell phones. According to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission, products that interfere with the phone’s signal may force it to work harder and emit more RF energy in order to stay connected, possibly increasing your exposure. It is best to use wired solutions to reduce RF rather than rely on an untested product.
13. When using your cellphone, use the speaker phone and hold the phone at least 3 feet away from you. Seek to radically decrease your time on the cellphone. Instead, use VoIP software phones that you can use while connected to the internet via a wired connection.
14. Avoid using your cellphone and other electronic devices at least an hour (preferably several) before bed, as the blue light from the screen and EMFs both inhibit melatonin production.
Research clearly shows that heavy computer and cellphone users are more prone to sleep deprivation. For example, one 2008 study revealed that people exposed to radiation from their mobile phones for three hours before bedtime had more trouble falling asleep and staying in a deep sleep.
15. Since we now know the effects of EMFs are reduced by calcium-channel blockers, make sure your magnesium levels are sufficient. Most people are deficient in magnesium, which will worsen the impact of EMFs. As noted by Dr. Pall in the featured interview:
“It is clear that when you’re deficient in magnesium, you get excessive activity of the VGCCs. You also get excessive calcium influx through the N-methyl-D-aspartate receptor, caused by magnesium deficiency, which is also problematic, so it’s important to allay that deficiency.”
16. Raising your level of Nrf2 (Nuclear factor erythroid 2–related factor 2) may help ameliorate EMF damage. One simple way to activate Nrf2 is to consume Nrf2-boosting food compounds. Examples include sulforaphane-containing cruciferous vegetables, foods high in phenolic antioxidants, the long-chained omega-3 fats DHA and EPA, carotenoids (especially lycopene), sulfur compounds from allum vegetables, isothiocyanates from the cabbage group, and terpenoid-rich foods. Exercise, calorie restriction (such as intermittent fasting) and activating the nitric oxide signaling pathway will also raise Nrf2. Nrf2 lowers inflammation, improves mitacondrial function, detoxifies the body of toxic metals.
17. Molecular hydrogen has been shown to target free radicals produced in response to radiation, such as peroxynitrites. Studies have shown molecular hydrogen can mitigate about 80 percent of this damage.
For an in-depth understanding of peroxynitrites and the harm they inflict, see “Nitric Oxide and Peroxynitrite in Health and Disease” which is a 140-page paper with 1,500 references by Dr. Pal Pacher, Joseph Beckman and Dr. Lucas Liaudet. It’s an epic paper and best of all it is free to download.
18. Certain spices may help prevent or repair damage from peroxynitrites. Spices rich in phenolics, specifically cinnamon, cloves, ginger root, rosemary and turmeric, have exhibited some protective effects against peroxynitrite-induced damage.
19. Take iodine. Iodine helps support your thyroid gland and helps to regulate hormone production. Iodine also boosts the immune system by scavenging free radicals. EMF radiation has been shown to increase the chances of cancer. Iodine’s anti-carcinogenic properties were shown in a study that proved cancer cells shrunk when injected with iodine. In fact, these cancer cells at times during the study died and were replaced by healthy cells.
High levels of heavy metals in the body have been shown to have amplifying effects on EMF radiation. Iodine helps to flush the body of heavy metals. Magnesium, Vitamin C, and selenium are recommended when taking iodine. My favorite iodine supplement is Detoxadine. Performing a chemical and heavy metals cleanse at least two times yearly is also a good idea to help diminish your EMF exposure.
If you’re concerned about your health and the health of your family, RF-EMF exposure is an important health hazard that must be addressed. Once the rollout of 5G happens, it will make a remedy or cure for many health issues all the more difficult. This is why everyone needs to become educated about 5G and do what they can to prevent it.
Resources and Research
Dr. Martin Pal, “5G: Great risk for EU, U.S. and International Health! Compelling Evidence for Eight Distinct Types of Great Harm Caused by Electromagnetic Field(EMF) Exposures and the Mechanism that Causes Them”.
Scientific Research on 5G, 4G Small Cells, Wireless Radiation and Health. Environmental Health Trust.
Nrf2, a master regulator of detoxification and also antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and other cytoprotective mechanisms, is raised by health promoting factors. Sheng Li Xue Bao. 2015 Feb 25;67(1):1-18.
Loretta Lanphier, NP. Electromagnetic Frequency Dangers – Experts Speak Out. www.OAWHealth.com