Yellow Squash is often found in most summer vegetable gardens, especially Southern vegetable gardens. It’s considered easy to grow and, if you can organically keep the bugs away, very prolific — meaning you will usually get more squash than you need. So if you find your squash harvest over-flowing, it’s the perfect time to try these delicious Healthy Fried Squash Patties. Even if you don’t have extra squash from your garden, you can almost always find squash at your local grocery store or your local farmers’ markets. This easy-to-make squash patty recipe makes light and incredibly delicious patties and will likely become a “most asked for” recipe by family members.
Nutrient Content of Yellow Squash
The USDA nutrient database indicates that one medium yellow squash contains 39 calories, 2 grams of protein, zero grams of fat, 8 carbs, 4 grams of fiber, and 4 grams of sugar. In addition, there are good amounts of calcium, iron, and vitamins C, A, and B, as well as beta-carotene and lutein. What you won’t find — cholesterol. Yellow squash is generally considered a non-starchy vegetable which is another great reason to try these Healthy Fried Squash Patties!
GMO Squash Information
While most squash on the market is not genetically modified (GMO), approximately 25,000 acres of crookneck, straight neck, and zucchinis have been bioengineered to be virus-resistant. Unless specifically labeled, you will not be able to tell the difference between non-GMO and GMO zucchini or squash. This is one vegetable that is best grown organically in your own garden or purchased from a trusted organic farmer.
RELATED: Super Health Benefits of Squash
Healthy Fried Squash Patties
- 2 cups organic yellow squash, finely chopped or grated (about 2-3 large squash)
- 1 cup organic sweet onion, finely chopped or grated
- 2 large organic or free-range egg, beaten
- 1 jalapeno – seeded and minced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon organic pepper
- 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons arrowroot flour
- 2 tablespoons organic ghee or organic butter
- 1 tablespoon organic avocado oil
- Thoroughly wash squash. In a large bowl, combine chopped/grated squash, onion, eggs, coconut flour, arrowroot flour, jalapeno, salt, pepper, and baking powder. Mix well and let sit for 5 minutes. If the mixture seems too watery, drain the water off. NOTE: You do not need to peel the squash.
- Take a large skillet or saute pan and preheat on medium heat for one minute. Add ghee and avocado oil. Swirl around to coat the entire bottom of the skillet/pan.
- Spoon 1/4 cup portions of the squash mixture into the oiled pan. Press the patties down flat to make them about 3/4-inch thick.
- Fry the patties until golden brown on the bottom – about 2-3 minutes. Use a spatula to flip the patties and continue frying until they are golden brown on the second side.
- If needed, drain the patties on paper towels before serving.
Serve with a healthy dip such as Best Blackened Jalapeno and Avocado Veggie Dip.
†Results may vary. Information and statements made are for education purposes and are not intended to replace the advice of your doctor. Oasis Advanced Wellness/OAWHealth does not dispense medical advice, prescribe, or diagnose illness. The views and nutritional advice expressed by Oasis Advanced Wellness/OAWHealth are not intended to be a substitute for conventional medical service. If you have a severe medical condition or health concern, see your physician of choice.